There aren't many folks out there who don't like pizza. I sure do, but since I'm gluten intolerant I don't get to enjoy it very often. I've tried gluten free pizza crusts before, and didn't care for the taste. And those that use alternative methods, such as a cauliflower crust, are out due to an egg allergy. I found the perfect solution though, I use butternut squash as the crust.
The neck of a butternut squash is longer and more slender than the body of the squash, and slices into the perfect size for mini pizzas. All I have to do is roast them, add my favorite toppings, bake a little more and voila, delicious mini pizzas. The toppings can be as varied as your tastes. Whatever you like on regular pizza, can be used on these little beauties too. You can even skip the cheese if you want a dairy free version! They are super tasty whatever way you top them.
Below is my favorite way of enjoying them, but feel free to make them your own with your favorite toppings.
1 butternut squash, with a long neck
2 tablespoons pure olive oil
Grape tomatoes, or your favorite pizza sauce
Shredded mozzarella and/or Colby/Jack cheese
Your favorite pizza toppings such as pepperoni, chopped vegetables, basil, etc.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Using a vegetable peeler or paring knife, peel the squash.
Slice the neck end into 1/4 inch thick slices. *Scoop out the seeds at the bottom part of the squash, then slice and roast to enjoy as a side dish.
Place squash rounds on the prepared baking sheet and brush both sides with olive oil. Place 1 - 2 grape tomatoes per squash round on the baking sheet as well. Sprinkle with a little salt and bake for 15 minutes.
Flip squash rounds over. Mash the tomatoes with a fork, then place several on each squash round. (or pizza sauce if using) Add any other toppings you would like at this time. I used a little garlic powder and dried oregano to taste, along with shredded cheese, and some chopped fresh basil.
Bake for 10 - 15 minutes more, or until squash is tender, and cheese has melted.
Yield: Makes 6 - 12 mini pizzas, depending on the size of the squash.
Thank you to Christie Campbell from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures for hosting this week's event.
This Mini Pizzas recipe is part of a collection of tasty Finger Food recipes from the Sunday Supper Movement. Find links to the rest of the collection below, and make sure to visit the #SundaySupper Pinterest board for even more delicious recipes.
- Artichoke Jalapeno Bruschetta by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Bacon Wrapped Dates by Our Good Life
- Baked Blue Cheese Olive Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Baked Chicken Flautas by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baked Russian Piroshki (Stuffed Rolls) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Blue Cheese & Buffalo Chicken Wonton Bites by Moore or Less Cooking
- Caprese Polenta Cakes by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Cherry Topped Brie Bites by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Pesto Pizza by Taste And See
- Classic Homemade Guacamole by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Vegetable Rainbow Rolls by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fried Italian Stuffed Olives by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Kabobs by Hardly A Goddess
- Loaded Mashed Potato Balls with Gravy by From Gate to Plate
- Mini Feta Leek Quiche by FoodieTots
- Mini Mediterranean Shish Kebabs by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Pan Seared Bruschetta by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Raspberry Glazed Chicken Wings by Family Around The Table
- Sesame Chicken Fingers by An Appealing Plan
- Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Battered-dipped Turkey Tenders by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Wellington Bites by Food Lust People Love
- Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Broccoli, Ham & Cheese Double Stuffed Potato Skins by Simply Healthy Family
- Cheesy Baked Garlic Chicken Strips by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders by The Chef Next Door
- Cuban Sandwiches by My World Simplified
- Ethiopian Injera and Tikel Gomen (cabbage, carrots and potato) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Fish fingers and Old Bay Dip by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Haddock Fingers by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Ham and Cheese Sliders by Feeding Big and More
- Mini Pizza Pockets by The Freshman Cook
- Mini Pizzas by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Ribs with Whiskey Maple Barbecue Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Savory Beef and Veggie Hand Pies by Positively Stacey
- Spinach-Feta Rolls by Wholistic Woman
- Steak Crostini with Roasted Red Pepper Spread by A Mind Full Mom
- Tacos in Lettuce Wraps by Simple and Savory
- Thai Basil Chicken Lettuce Wraps by Casa de Crews
- Thai-Indian Beef Lettuce Cups by The Texan New Yorker
- Vegetarian Piadina Sandwich by she loves biscotti
- Yuca Fritters Stuffed with Cheese by Basic N Delicious
- Blackberry Fried Hand Pies by The TipToe Fairy
- Blueberry and Brie Tarts by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Strawberry Hand Pies by Baking Sense
- Salted Caramel Cream Puffs by The Redhead Baker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Did you make this recipe?
I'd enjoy hearing what you thought of it in the comments below. Or snap a picture and share it on social media with the hashtag #myhomesteadrecipe. I'd love to share your creation too!