Breakfast is a favorite meal at our house. So much so, that I usually serve a breakfast type meal for supper once a week. It seems we're not the only ones who love that morning meal either. People have come up with a special name for it, Brinner! So when #SundaySupper announced they were going to have a waffle themed event, in honor of National Waffle Iron Day on June 29th, I couldn't wait to share the savory waffle recipe I make for Brinner. Thank you to Sue Lau from A Palatable Pastime for hosting today!
Bell pepper, onion, garlic, and cheese are stirred into a gluten free cornmeal batter, that has the egg that is normally used replaced with applesauce, then the waffles are cooked to golden perfection, and topped with avocado spread, sour cream, feta cheese, chopped tomato, and cilantro. They come out soft in the middle, with just the slightest crispness on the outside. It's a filling meal, and perfect for those who are trying to squeeze a meatless meal into their menu once in awhile. If you want a little more protein with these waffles, they would be good with some pinto or black beans added too.
Craving more? Stay in touch on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for new post updates and more.
Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles
1/2 cup gluten free flour
1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 sweet onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup applesauce
2 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, or to taste
1 ripe avocado
1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
Juice of half a small lime
Sea salt to taste
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
4 - 6 cherry tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, or to taste
Mash avocado in a bowl, along with cilantro, lime juice, and salt, stirring to combine.
Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Preheat waffle maker to medium-high heat, or follow your waffle makers directions.
Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined. If batter seems to thick, add a little more milk. You want it to be slightly thick, but pour-able.
Once waffle maker is hot, grease the top and bottom with melted butter or a little oil, then pour some of the batter into the waffle maker.
Cook until slightly crispy and golden brown.
Repeat with remaining batter.
Place waffles on serving plates.
Divide the avocado spread between the servings, spreading over the top of the waffles. Follow with the sour cream, feta cheese, tomatoes, and cilantro, dividing them equally between the servings.
Makes 2 - 3 servings.
Recipe Adapted from Lemons and Basil.
Check out what everyone else made...
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida's Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
Have you tried one of my recipes?
I’d love to see what you've made! Take a picture and use the hashtag #myhomesteadrecipe on Instagram or Facebook. I may feature it on social media!